Wednesday, September 9, 2009

a dapp review: Jay-Z's "the Blueprint 3".

boogieb: simple track x track reviews or comments of albums I feel like reviewing:



[1] What We Talkin About:
"grown men want me to set them on my lap / but i don't have a beard and Santa Clause ain't black / I repeat you can't sit on my lap / I dont have a beard /now get off my sack"
welcome back Hov - "i don't run rap no more, i run the map"

[2] Thank You:
"danger approaches we like wait who's this / let us save you some trouble / what size suit you is? / this way after the Ruger shoots through a few clips / you can lay in your casket just as you is / we appreciate the traget practices / we'll be sure to send flower baskets, kid"
one of my favs on the album, instrumentally sounds like it coulda been on "American Gangster", like a toned down "Roc Boys".

[3] D.O.A. [Death of Auto-Tune]:
"only rapper to re-write history without a pen"
we all heard this by now - still obsessed with this beat,  and now apparently T-Pain is on the "fuck Jay-z" bandwagon ...looks like someone has some hurt feelings, even after he helped perform the song live with J a few weeks back.

[4] Run This Town [ft. Rihanna x Kanye West]:
KanYe rapping like Pippen to Hov's Jordan on this one. Or maybe it should be rapping like Shaq to Hov's LeBron for the '09.

[5] Empire State Of Mind [ft. Alicia Keys]:
"sh!t, i made the Yankee hat more famous than a Yankee game"
the NY anthem, NY stand up for this one. did it really take this long for them to do a track together?

[6] Real As It Gets [ft. Young Jeezy]:
"i won this race that ya'll trail / Blueprints for sale / follow in my footprints you can't fail / set sail / i used to duck shots now i eat quail / i'll probably never see jail / each tale contains more than truth of the statue allows me to go into detail / close your eyes you can smell / Hov's the audio equivelent to braille / thats why they feel me... "
im sure 'Ye had some influence on making this collabo happen. Jeezy rocks it though, track gets you hype

[7] On To The Next One [ft.  Swizz Beatz]:
"i don't get dropped, i drop the label"
i want this to be a single and blow up so i can 2-step to it in the club. "double your money and make it stack"...Swizzy!

[8] Off That [ft. Drake]:
"with my high yellow broad / and my dark skinned sis / and my best white mate / say what's up to chris / hows that for a mix / got a black president / got green presidents / Blueprints in my white ipod / Black diamond in my Jesus piece"
those bars sounds like it could been a remix to Elzhi's colors. the concept of this track is like a new version of "30 Something"... was surprised at first Drizzy Drake didn't get a verse, but he doesn't even have an album out yet so it kinda makes sense. Getting on a Jay-Z without an album out is still pretty major though, even if its just a hook... same for K Cudi.

[9] A Star Is Born [ft. J. Cole]:
"Wayne's scorchin / i'll applaud him / if he keep goin / i'll pass the torch to him"
yeah, Cole doesn't have a album out yet either but thats Hov's first artist on RocNation so he gotta let him shine a lil, and he kills it. This track is like a hip-hop timeline of some of his fav rappers in the game

[10] Venus Vs. Mars:
"me, im from the big apple / that means im a mac / shorty is a PC / she lives in my lap"
song like this makes me think of Amil from the "Jigga What, Jigga Who" days. Im sure everyone will hes talkin bout B, then i heard that last verse... hmmm.

[11] Already Home [ft. Kid Cudi]:
"im in the hall already / on the wall already / im a work of art / im a Warhol already / on another level on another plane already / H-O-V i got my own lane already"
like Cudi's voice on this track

[12] Hate [ft. KanYe West]:
after the first listen i could do with out this one, maybe it'll grow on me but right now sounds a lil corny to me. kinda reminescent of "drunken hot girls" on Ye's album.

[13] Reminder:
"i write 16's in-between running 16 businesses / all the while showing these young bucks what the business is"
Not the strongest J x Tim collabo but still like. sometimes Jay-Z has to remind you how awesome Jay-Z is.

[14] So Ambitious [ft. Pharrell]:
Love J x Netpunes collabos when they on some laid back tracks, "I Know" will forever be my sh!t (i still don't know what that video was about)

[15] Young Forever [ft. Mr Hudson]:
Mr Hudson has a pretty bright future, reminds me of a Coldplay or something, so can see them collabing. Hov's flow sounds a lil off beat on this one though, nice track otherwise.


boogieb: after only a few listens i rank the third Blueprint somewehere after "Blueprint 1 or Reasonable Doubt" (still untouchable in my book) but in the same league as "American Gangster" & "The Black Album". Sounds like an 11th #1 album to me, probably just on Hov's marketing alone. definitely worth a buy... yes a buy... remember when you used to pay for music...


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment